Adopted in 1991; Revised in 1998, 2003, 2006 and 2010
ARTICLE I - NAME
- The name of this organization shall be the “Acadia Divinity College Alumni/ae Association” (or current name of said institution), and shall be called here-in-after “the Association.”
ARTICLE II - OBJECTIVES
- To maintain a close tie between Acadia Divinity College and the ADC/ Acadia School of Theology Alumni/ae.
- To promote and support financially the ministry of Acadia Divinity College.
- To foster and maintain fellowship among the Alumni/ae.
- To nominate members to the Senate of Acadia Divinity College.
- To plan and carry out regional fellowship meetings.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
A Regular Member is anyone who has completed a degree, diploma, certificate, or at least 18 credit hours of courses from Acadia Divinity College or the former Acadia University School of Theology.
An Associate Member shall include a non-graduate of Acadia Divinity College who serves in any of the following capacities:
- The President of Acadia Divinity College;
- The ADC designated staff person who is responsible for Alumni/ae;
- A Faculty member who is in the employ of Acadia Divinity College.
- has completed at least three full non-credit courses offered by Acadia Divinity College.
An Associate Member may attend Association meetings, and shall have the right to speak, but not to vote.
ARTICLE IV - THE EXECUTIVE
- The Executive shall include:
(a) The President, who shall:
- Preside at all Association meetings;
- Be the official representative of the Association;
- Have the right to delegate responsibility at his/her discretion;
- In consultation with the Secretary call meetings of the Executive.
- Prepare a report for the ADC Board of Trustees two times a year and be present at ADC Board of Trustees Meetings.
(b) The Vice-President, who shall:
- Preside at any Association meeting in the absence of the President or at the President’s request;
- Normally succeed to the Presidency;
- Assume the office of President in the event of a mid-term vacancy in the Presidential office. If this occurs he/she shall be eligible to serve his/her normal term as President.
(c) The Secretary, who shall:
- Keep a record of the proceedings of all Association and Executive meetings;
- Report Association plans and highlights through the ADC Web Site, Social Media, the ADC Newsletter, the ADC Calendar and other such reports as the Secretary may deem wise to further the aims and objectives of the Association;
- In conjunction with the college staff keep an up-to-date record of all Alumni/ae and their addresses;
- Forward records of historical value to the Baptist Historical Collection at Acadia University.
(d) The Past President, who shall:
- Be a liaison between the Association Executive and the Regional Representatives;
- Serve as chairperson of the Association Nominating Committee.
(e) The President of Acadia Divinity College, who shall be an ex-officio member, or a designate of the Principal.
(f) The ADCAA representatives to the ADC Senate.
The Officers of the Association shall be the President, the Vice-President, the Past President, and the Secretary.
- shall conduct all business of the Association between Association meetings;
- needs three members present, two of whom must be officers, to constitute a quorum;
- may appoint “Corresponding Members” from other areas of Canada and abroad to function as Association Representatives in their area;
- shall set the date, time, place and agenda for the annual Association meeting and banquet;
- shall be responsible for interim appointments when an office is vacated during the year
- shall be responsible for seeing that a sum of money is available through the ADC annual budget to cover the Association’s operating costs.
ARTICLE V NON-EXECUTIVE MEMBERS
The Regional Representatives, who shall:
- Be equal in number to, and residents of, the established Regions of the Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches;
- Work in conjunction with the Executive to initiate events, etc., to further the objectives of the Association.
ARTICLE VI - THE NOMINATING COMMITTEE
The Nominating Committee shall:
- be chaired by the Past President;
- consist of two additional members who shall serve a three year term;
- secure nominees for each of the offices listed in Article IV, 1, plus a Nominating Committee member and an ADC Senator when required;
- present a report to the Executive at the meeting prior to the annual Association meeting;
- present a report to the annual Association meeting for approval.
ARTICLE VII - TERM OF OFFICE
1. Executive members, except the President, Vice-President and Past President, may hold office for two three year terms (i.e., a maximum of six consecutive years), and upon completion of a one year absence from the Executive, may be elected to any office.
- A term of office shall normally begin following election at the annual Association meeting, and shall end at the appropriate annual Association meeting.
ARTICLE VIII - FINANCES
- The financial support for the Association is obtained through an annual grant from Acadia Divinity College.
- Funds of the Association shall be used to cover the costs of Executive meetings, as well as projects of the Association.
- All business transactions involving sums of money in excess of one hundred dollars ($100.00) must be authorized by the Executive.
- The financial year of the Association shall be from April 1st to March 31st.
- A motion involving financial objectives, in order to be passed, must have the support of at least two-thirds of the voting members present at the annual Association meeting or at a duly called Association meeting.
ARTICLE IX - MEETINGS
- The annual Association meeting shall be coordinated by the Executive in consultation with the ADC designated staff person who is responsible for the Alumni/ae.
- Other Association meetings may be called by the Executive; by vote of the members present at the annual Association meeting; or by the Secretary upon receipt of a written request signed by at least fifteen (15) Association members.
- Notice of all Association meetings must be sent to all Alumni/ae whose names appear on the current mailing list at least one month in advance of said meeting.
ARTICLE X - AMENDMENTS
This Association Constitution may be amended, altered, or added to at any duly called Association meeting by a two-thirds vote of the members present provided notice of motion has been given (e.g., at the previous Association meeting, on the ADC Web Site, sent by mail) to the Association members at least thirty (30) days in advance of the Association meeting.